Northern Lights Gas Co-op Ltd. is a registered member of Utility Safety Partners. Please place your request a minimum of three business days before starting your project to ensure the proper time allotment for your request.
Call Before You Dig: 1-800-242-3447
Any party that damages Gas Co-op facilities will be held financially and legally responsible. There is no charge for this service, so please remember to dig responsibly!
LEAK CHECKS & CARBON MONOXIDE
Natural Gas is odorized by a chemical called Mercaptan which adds a distinctive rotten egg or sulphur like smell to help you detect any leaks.
What to do if you think you smell gas:
If you smell gas or hear the flow of escaping gas, please follow these steps immediately:
1. Don’t smoke, light matches, operate electrical switches, use telephones, or create other sources of ignition
2. Leave the building immediately, leaving the door open and any windows that may already be open.
3. Turn gas off at the meter if it is safe to do so.
4. Call Northern Lights Gas Co-op Ltd. at 780-928-3881 during office hours or our 24 Hour Emergency # 780-841-4803 after hours
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odourless, toxic gas. When inhaled, CO interferes with the blood’s ability to absorb and transport oxygen. Exposure to high amounts of CO can cause unconsciousness, brain damage and death. Common signs to watch for include flu-like symptoms, headaches, nausea, dizziness drowsiness, confusion and even loss of consciousness. Protect your family by having registered contractors service natural gas appliances, ensure outside air ducts, exhaust vents etc. allow a free flow of air, read and keep
manufacturer’s operating maintenance manuals, always keep furnace fan compartment doors and/or the filter access panel in place, and if you have an open wood-burning fire place, make sure the damper is open partially. A CO alarm offers extra protection, but is not a substitute for regular maintenance and inspection.
If you think there’s carbon monoxide in your home, please follow these steps immediately:
1. Open doors and windows to air out the area
2. Get everyone (even the pets) to fresh air immediately
3. Seek medical advice immediately for physical symptoms
4. Turn off the suspect appliance
5. Have a registered gas contractor inspect your appliances
There is no charge for these inspection services, so please contact us immediately for any concerns you may have.
If you have recently built a new home or are setting up a new mobile home and need your existing riser moved, please call us at 780-928-3881 to submit a request. The cost of the riser move, including the materials, is at the customers expense. Northern Lights Gas Co-op Ltd. requires a gas permit to connect a meter to the new building. If the permit supplied to us is a homeowners permit, please note that one of our service personnel will need to witness a pressure test before meter hang can be completed.